Friday, February 14, 2014

Guest Post: Tortilla Soup!


This week I am so very excited to feature my blogging pal and friend Erica. Erica runs her own wedding + event design house.  She shares recipes, DIY’s and beautiful photos of her events. Hop on over and check out her blog so you can enjoy her photos. Her blog is truly a treat!

Hi, I'm Erica from Paper Hearts + Co. (www.paperheartsncoblog.com)!

Thank you, Courtney, for inviting me to share one of my favorite recipes!

This has become one of our favorite winter soup recipes. It has a sweet potato base which is definitely not traditional in a tortilla soup. Years ago when I was in college one of my roommates and I made it for a dinner one sunday night. Since then I have modified the original recipe to customize it to our liking. It has a hearty chili like consistency. Even my non sweet potato liking friends love it. This recipe is gluten free and is easy to convert  for vegan or vegetarian folks as well. Cheers! - Erica 
1. Saute 3 gloves minced garlic and one large chopped red onion in a little olive oil.
2. In another pan brown 2-3 cubed chicken breasts.
3. Peel and dice 4 sweet potatoes.
5. Add 1box of Chicken broth and 2 cups water to the pot with garlic and onions.
6. Add cubed sweet potatoes and bring to a boil and cook until tender.
7. Take 2/3 of cooked sweet potato mixture and and puree it in your blender or food processor till smooth. Return to pot.

8. Add 1 bag of corn
 1 can chopped green chilies
1 large can of petite diced tomatoes
browned cubed chicken
1 bunch chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp Thyme
2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 tsp. pepper
9. Let simmer for 20 minutes and serve with tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment